Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Tow Rope Release  (Read 701 times)

scott93933

• spinner
Automatic Tow Rope Release
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:11:22 AM »

Hi all,
My friends and I are planning on getting really nuts in 2016 and trying things like flips. My biggest concern is that one of us will get injured by becoming tangled in the tow rope. Last year, while contemplating this insane idea of doing a flip, I found (online) a quick-release mechanism that was available for purchase that looked amazing. It attached to the tow bar that arches over the top of the boat (I know there's another name for it, but I can't recall what it's really called) and you could mechanically set the force at which it would release the tow rope. The idea was that while you were in the process of getting up on your board, your buddy would be watching the strain gauge on this device and would note the maximum force that the rope encountered while you were getting up. Your buddy would then set the device to release at a force just above this value. Then, when you fall, the force would be exceeded and the rope would be automatically released. I think this thing was being advertised for around $650.

There's this thing in Internet browsers called "bookmarks." Apparently, I forgot to create one when I found this gizmo and now I can't find it again.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or where to find it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Scott

wisconsinjoker

• KW Freak
Re: Automatic Tow Rope Release
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »

cinch makes a much less expensive release which uses varying degrees of velcro. but I find your best bet is usually a manual release. the auto ones are never going to be as reliable as a good spotter. that said Ive never needed a release for a simple flip if done properly. look at some of the tutorials on this website to learn how to flip safely.

John Haile

• Outlaw
  • www.JohnCHaile.com
    • John Haile
Re: Automatic Tow Rope Release
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 03:04:58 AM »

If you're just trying to flip you'll be alright without a trick release. The most common wrap spins riders 360-540 degrees and is initiated by wrapping your arm and not the rope around your waistline. Generally kneeboarders don't look into a trick release until they're doing full wraps (a wrap that spins you into a 720 or more spins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNkOFBR1WNU as seen at the 9 second mark. That said, it doesn't hurt to have a trick release for those one in a million falls.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up